An egg-cellent dramatisation of the omelette.
Saturday, August 30, 2014
Thursday, August 28, 2014
Are you a fan of cold pizza? This crustless quiche tastes delicious hot or cold, making it a great lunchbox staple. And it's low-carb too!
Recipe for one 18x18cm pan
(This is a guide, feel free to mix and match with your favourte veggies e.g. capsicum, broccoli, zucchini,corn)
6-7 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup milk (I used soy)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1-2 tablespoons dijion mustard
3 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
200g white button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup spinach, chopped (I used frozen, after defrosting)
100g grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. In a 18x18cm deep dish pan, toss mushrooms, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and Italian herbs in olive oil. Spead into one layer and bake for 10 mins in preheated oven.
3. While waiting beat together eggs, dijion mustard, spinach, half the cheese and salt and pepper.
4. Remove pan from oven. Pour in egg mixture and mix everything well. Top with remaining cheese.
5. Bake for 30-40 mins until cheese is golden brown and eggs are firm. A skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean.
6. Slice into generous wedges and enjoy! The balance can be kept in the fridge for a yummy breakfast the next day.
Monday, August 25, 2014
I think the prices are slightly higher than most places, but the portion size and quality well makes up for it. And they have also have a wide range of different chee cheong fun plating options from different states.
Bonus find: Try the assam snow ice, it's awesome!
Address: No 47-1, Jalan SS23/15 Taman Sea, 47400 Petaling Jaya.
Sunday, August 24, 2014
Friday, August 22, 2014
The key to getting a nice fluffy omelette is beating the egg well to incorporate air bubbles. And not be tempted to flip the egg over multiple times or it'll dry out.
Makes 2 omelettes
2 'lap cheong' Chinese sausage, skin removed and thinly sliced
Half an onion, thinly sliced and pieces separated (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a frying pan, fry half the sausage and onion till onion is lightly browned. No oil required as the sausage is already oily.
2. While the sausage is frying, beat the 5 eggs well with salt and pepper, the sausage is salty so add less salt than you usually would.
3. Pour half the egg mixture into pan over the sausage.
4. Let cook until egg is no longer liquid, about 2 mins, then flip over to brown the other side.
5. Repeat steps for second omelette.
On a side note, I have yet to master the art of flipping eggs and pancakes without a spatula no matter how many YouTube videos I watch.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
But it's still in the neighborhood, yay!
The place to go to for yummy, reasonably-priced, home-cooked Japanese food. The shop is small, so be prepared to wait during peak hours and weekends.
Address: 67M(1stfloor), Jalan SS21/37 Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya
Sunday, August 17, 2014
Friday, August 15, 2014
Recipe link: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1223/bestever-brownies
Taste - best. Chocolate on chocolate on chocolate.
Texture - best. Crisp on top, and fudgy on the inside.
Ability to travel well - best. It's the go-to gift for parties, potlucks and house-warmings. Read tip below.
Feedback many, many taste testers - best. There have been many friendly fights over the last piece.
Recipe edits: Reduce sugar to 175g. Instead of using milk and white chocolate, I only used dark chocolate.
Recipe tip: I line the baking tray with a larger piece of aluminum foil. To pack, just lift the foil with uncut brownies inside, fold over the top to cover and tie with ribbon. Instant portable gift!
Thursday, August 14, 2014
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Feeling full after a heavy dinner, we asked if we could split a large hot chocolate into three mugs. The barista made the effort to design three tiny coffee art portions. Three thumbs up!
Oh, and it was good hot chocolate.
Address: 33 Lorong Rahim Kajai 13, Taman Tun Dr Ismail, 60000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-7722 2237